Following in the footsteps of fellow brother bloggers, trying to keep everyone updated in my life as well.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Starbucks - good time to buy?

With some extra time on my hands, I have decided to take up investing.
6 months ago I did not know the slightest thing about it, but now I hope that I can say that I am beginning to become an informed indepedent investor.
One stock to check out - Starbucks - down 20% over the past year
Cons
- struggling with some challenges and competition - both McDonald's rise with their "premium coffee" and Dunkin Donuts coffee are among the top. Suprisingly enough, McDonald's coffee beat out Starbucks and Dunkin for best tasting coffee by consumer reports.
- dairy costs have risen recently
Pros
- huge growth - a company that is opening up stores on every corner of the US and soon around the world. Some look at this as a downfall in maintaining quality. But Starbucks has already grown tremendously - they have already proven their quality. I have had the unruly experience of some of McDonald's premium coffee - I had a traumatic flashback to the watered down stale coffee of my non-profit agency I work for. Who brews your premium coffee at McDonald's? - most likely, it was some 17 yo first day on the job who had never brewed coffee in his or her life and just figured out how not to. Will this happen at Starbucks? - hardly - the employees their often are college grads - my friend works with Master's level coworkers.
- Starbucks takes care of their staff with benefits and quality training.
- Dropping P/E ratio - it used to be excessively high, now it is reasonable for the first time in a long time.
Hope you were enlightened by my analysis - if not, well, it was my first one! (chart from TD Ameritrade)

1 Comments:

Blogger J Rhea said...

Approaching 27!!! Buy buy buy. Bu-yeah! (Do you watch Cramer on CNBC?)

1:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home